Sadly, 10 law enforcement officers have already died in the line of duty this month in the United States.
In addition to two dying in vehicular crashes related to crime, three were mercilessly killed as a result of gunfire by cowards who had no respect for human life or the rule of law.
Please let us never forget the bravery our men and women in blue display each day for EVERY American as they don their uniform and leave for duty. Unfortunately, they do not know if they will return home to loved ones at the end of their shift.
As Americans, we take for granted:
- When turning on the faucet, without thinking, we expect clean water to pour out.
- When flipping a switch, without thinking, we expect the room will be illuminated.
- When purchasing something to eat from a grocery store, restaurant, or fast food establishment, without thinking, we expect these edible products will not be contaminated.
- When sending our children off to school each day, without thinking, we expect they will be educated by qualified and dedicated teachers.
- When resting our heads on the pillow at night, without thinking, we expect our faithful members of the armed forces will protect us from the bad guys of this world.
- When venturing out into the community, without thinking, we expect our highly trained and brave police officers will keep us safe from harm.
It is acceptable to expect these things we take for granted because our forefathers believed each American was special and declared every citizen had certain unalienable rights.
Let us remain steadfast in never forgetting, and do think about and honor, the tremendous sacrifices America’s men and women in blue make by courageously: “putting others above self.”